FYI, this page is not updated regularly, so please go to the school website to verify the most up-to-date information on whether the school has the tuition waiver, any changes, etc. If you have further information on a school with a waiver, please leave it in the comments!


In-state tuition for American Indians who have origins in any of the original people of North America and who maintain a cultural identification through tribal affiliation or community recognition with one or more of the tribes or nations connected historically with the present state of Iowa.


University of Maine Tuition waiver and scholarship that covers room and board for members of historical tribe of Maine area OR a resident of Maine from any federally recognized or Canadian tribe. Student can be tribally enrolled OR have a parent or grandparent enrolled.


Tuition waiver for historical Massachusetts area tribes who are Massachusetts residents.

• Michigan

Tuition waiver for residents of Michigan enrolled in a Michigan tribe.


Please contact: Diversity Enrichment Programs; 550 Parrington Oval; Norman, OK 73019; 405-325-3742.

•Utah and Washington

In-state tuition rate for American Indian/Alaska Natives students whose tribes are from the state or neighboring states.


Fort Lewis College at Durango-Student must be 1/4 Native American OR enrolled in a federally recognized tribe OR a direct decedent of a tribal member who lived on a reservation prior to June 1, 1934.

Colorado State University through the Native American Cultural Center offers the Native American Legacy Award to members of 93 tribes which were original occupants of Colorado. See web site: or for details. This award allows for in state tuition rate plus $500 per year to members of federally recognized tribes.

• Kansas 

Haskell Indian Nations University – Students do not need to be tribally enrolled, but must document 1/4 or more tribal descent.


MT University System *Tuition waiver for MT residents enrolled in a federally recognized tribe. 


U of MN, Morris -Student must be enrolled in a federally recognized tribe, a parent or grandparent must be enrolled.

North Dakota State Colleges and Universities

Search by college under Financial Aid resources or Scholarships for the Diversity Tuition Waiver

•AlaskaArizona, Kansas

Ilisagvik College

Contact: P.O. Box 749 Barrow, Alaska 99723 907-852-3333 Toll-free (Alaska only): 1-800-478-7337 fax: 907-852-2729

Diné College

Contact: P. O. Box 126 Tsaile, AZ 86556 928-724-6671 fax: 928-724-3327

Tohono O’odham Community College

Contact: P.O. Box 3129 Sells, AZ 85634 520-383-8401 fax: 520-383-8403

Haskell Indian Nations University

155 Indian Avenue P. O. Box 5030 Lawrence, KS 66046-4800 785-749-8479 fax: 785-749-8411

Saginaw Chippewa Tribal College

Contact: 2284 Enterprise Drive Mount Pleasant, MI 48858 989-775-4123 fax: 989-772-4528

-Minnesota Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College

Contact: 2101 14th Street Cloquet, MN 55720-2964 218-879-0800 fax: 218-879-0814

-Leech Lake Tribal College

Contact: Rt. 3, Box 100 Cass Lake, MN 56633 218-335-4200 fax: 218-335-4215

White Earth Tribal and Community College

210 Main Street South P. O. Box 478 Mahnomen, MN 56557 218-935-0417 fax: 218-935-0423

Montana Blackfeet Community College

P. O. Box 819 Browning, MT 59417 406-338-7755 fax: 406-338-3272


Michigan Bay Mills Community College

Contact: 12214 West Lakeshore Drive Brimley, MI 49715 906-248-3354 fax: 906-248-3351

•Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College

Contact: 111 Beartown Rd, PO Box 519

Chief Dull Knife College

Contact: P. O. Box 98 Lame Deer, MT 59043 406-477-6215 fax: 406-477-6219

Fort Belknap College

Contact: P. O. Box 159 Harlem, MT 59526 406-353-2607 fax: 406-353-2898 

Fort Peck Community College

Contact: P. O. Box 398 Poplar, MT 59255 406-768-6300 fax: 406-768-5552

Little Big Horn College

Contact: P. O. Box 370 Crow Agency, MT 59022 406-638-3100 (main number) fax: 406-638-3169

Salish Kootenai College

Contact: P. O. Box 117 Pablo, MT 59855 406-275-4800 fax: 406-275-4801

Stone Child College

Contact: RR1, Box 1082 Box Elder, MT 59521 406-395-4875 fax: 406-395-4836

Nebraska Nebraska Indian Community College

Contact: College Hill P. O. Box 428 Macy, NE 68039 402-837-5078 fax: 402-837-4183

Little Priest Tribal College

Contact: P. O. Box 270 Winnebago, NE 68071 402-878-2380 fax: 402-878-2355

New Mexico Navajo Technical College

Contact: P. O. Box 849 Crownpoint, NM 87313 505-786-4100 fax: 505-786-5644

Institute of American Indian Arts

Contact: 83 Avan Nu Po Road Santa Fe, NM 87505 505-424-2300 fax: 505-424-0050

Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute

Contact: P. O. Box 10146 9169 Coors Road, NW Albuquerque, NM 87184 505-346 2347 fax: 505-346-2343

North Dakota Cankdeska Cikana (Little Hoop) Community College

Contact: P. O. Box 269 Fort Totten, ND 58335 701-766-4415 fax: 701-766-4077

Fort Berthold Community College

Contact: 220 Eighth Avenue North P. O. Box 490 New Town, ND 58763 701-627-4738 fax: 701-627-3609

Sitting Bull College

Contact: 1341 92nd Street Fort Yates, ND 58538 701-854-3861 fax: 701-854-3403

Turtle Mountain Community College

Contact: P. O. Box 340 Belcourt, ND 58316 701-477-7862 fax: 701-477-7807

United Tribes Technical College

Contact: 3315 University Drive Bismarck, ND 58504 701-255-3285 fax: 701-530-0605

Oklahoma College of the Muskogee Nation

Contact: 600 N Mission Okmulgee, OK 74447 918-758-1480 fax: 918.293.5313

Comanche Nation College

Contact: 1608 SW 9th Street Lawton, OK 73501 580.591,0203 fax: 580.353.7075

South Dakota Oglala Lakota College

Contact: 490 Piya Wiconi Road Kyle, SD 57752 605-455-6022 fax: 605-455-6023

Sinte Gleska University

Contact: P. O. Box 409 Rosebud, SD 57570 605-856-5880 fax: 605-856-5401

Sisseton Wahpeton College

Contact: P. O. Box 689 Sisseton, SD 57262 605/698-3966 fax: 605/698-3132

Washington Northwest Indian College

Contact: 2522 Kwina Road Bellingham, WA 98226 360-676-2772 fax: 360-738-0136

Wisconsin College of Menominee Nation

Contact: P. O. Box 1179 Keshena, WI 54135 715-799-5600 fax: 715-799-1308

Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College

Contact: 13466 West Trepania Rd Hayward, WI 54843 715-634 4790 fax: 715-634-5049

Wyoming Wind River Tribal College

Contact: P.O. Box 8300 Ethete, WY 82520 307.335.8243 fax: 307.335.8148


19 thoughts on “U.S. Colleges And Universities Offering In-State Tuition And Tuition Waivers For Native American Students

  1. just a note on the Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver…. it is available to Michigan residents of ANY Federally recognized tribe and can be used at any public university, including UofM Ann Arbor and Michigan State University

    1. Also important to note that the *State of Michigan requires a blood quantum certificate requiring 1/4 min native blood- imposed my the State.

      1. Also important to note is that Michigan requires a photocopy of your tribal enrollment card. Many tribes only give these to the matriarchal side of a family, meaning a son’s children are not eligible to be enrolled in the tribe regardless of their blood quantum.

      2. I don’t know of any tribe that only enrolls children from either a father or mothers side. I think this page is positive and someone might get the wrong message from comments that aren’t factual like that. If I am wrong please show proof.

  2. The MITW recognizes any federally recognized tribal citizen with 1/4 blood quantum and a resident of Michigan for 12 consecutive months. The MITW is available at any level of higher education at any state institution.

  3. No. Prop.7 took care of that. The Michigan Civil Liberties Union changed the wording from North American Indians to Federally Recognized Tribes in the states constitution.

  4. I want to do an online degree since I live in Florida. I have all the documentation of white earth. Any suggestions?

    1. Hi Travis. Talk to the school you want to do the online degree and see if there are any tribal scholarships you can apply for, any tuition waivers, etc. Good Luck!

    2. Hey Travis! Can you advise if you personally enrolled in the tribe – White Earth, or was this done by your parents or grand parents? Do you have to be 1/4 or what are the requirements? I am trying to figure out how to go about getting enrolled, if possible, and I’m White Earth, Minnesota. Thanks

  5. I am trying to find graduate schools that offer tuition waivers to enrolled tribal members seeking Master’s degrees on-line. Does anyone know of any?

    1. Hi Jamie! I’m not sure of the answer – I think your best bet would be to call the Master’s Programs that you are interested in and ask them directly.

  6. Blackfeet Community College does not have a Native American Tuition waiver, or they didnt offer it to me and i am an enrolled member.

  7. At the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, their catalog states: “Tuition shall not be charged to members of federally recognized Native American tribes, who do not otherwise qualify as Nevada residents, and who currently reside on tribal lands located wholly or partially within boundaries of the State of Nevada.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s